So the plan will be to:
- Remove the sheared screw from the lever
- How? Still need to figure it out
- Replace this screw:
- Check that the transmission shifts easily by itself to make sure the problem is coming from the control cable and not the transmission itself
- Figure out what size of control cables needs to be ordered:
- Replace the old control cables with a coupling nut (10-32) connecting the old and new one:
- Give some love to the engine parts who need a bit of painting:
- metal treatment: https://www.amazon.com/Ospho-605-Metal-Treatment/dp/B000C02CDG
- paint: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002JG01VQ/ref=ox_huc_add_on_msg_title_1?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER
- Protect the fuel line from chafing, not sure how I missed them during my last chafing protection mission.
New priority project on Hotel Catalina! Let’s see how many week-end will I need to get it fixed 🙂
Helm tear down and fixing
Remove the broken screw in the 960-A-938 lever assembly
1/4-28 x 3/4″ SS screw going to the stainless clutch handle
Remove the compass
¼”-20 x 3 ½” ¼”-20 x 4” stainless machine screw
¼”-20 x 4” stainless and should be coated with Tef Gel when installing.
Lost lever assembly to control housing screw
I just had to send a quick email to edson to be able to order the needed screw on boltdepot.com.
Those screws are 8-32 pan head machine screws 3/8” long.
Remove screw holding the cable holder
Engine room side work
Transmission control cable holder
Transmission control cable is now free
Transmission control cable before cleaning
Transmission arm removal
Removed from the transmission but impossible to disconnect the cable from the arm
After some efforts the transmission cable is totally free!
Old cables removed
New screws from boltdepot.com arrived
Cables replaced. Time to put everything back together at the pedestal
Now at the engine
Bracket cleaned and painted
Cables in place
Machines Screw too small for the housing!
First I went back with the old one before to replace them later on.
Compas LED crimping for easier removal next time
Everything is now back to normal!
This project took me 2 week-ends, and some painting at home. When it happens I thought it will take a lot longer, but it got fixed pretty fast.