The 2 cabin boards near the engine came with the boat in a pretty bad shape, they were in need of some love. I decided the risk was very low to exercise my varnishing skills on these boards. The result happened to be way better than I expected.
Update March 2019. After this rainy winter and couple of leaks, it’s time to do the forward cabin floor board.
Tools & Chemicals
- stripping pad: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BPEE3S/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- stripping brush: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AW638K/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- plastic knife: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001SBJIA8/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- CitriStrip: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QFCP1G/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- Epoxy / Varnishing:
- sandpaper: https://www.amazon.com/3M-SandBlaster-Between-Sandpaper-220-Grit/dp/B000BQRFDS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497385775&sr=8-1&keywords=3M-SandBlaster-Between-Sandpaper-220-Grit%2F
- foam brushes: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00002N6GB/
- tack clothes: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049OP9FY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=A1RVZMUSUX5400&psc=1
- West system 105 epoxy resin: https://www.westsystem.com/105-epoxy-resin/
- West System 207 clear coat hardener: https://www.westsystem.com/207-special-clear-hardener/
- epifanes varnish: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005ADWOUG/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=IKJEDNWCGIBJ7&colid=3BL9QML8Q7GIE
- Pour the stripper on to the wood in a puddle
- Spread it initially with a brush
- Allow the stripper to “work” for 10-15 minutes
- Start to scrape with a 3″ flat putty knife
- Pile up the stripper/old varnish in the middle of the board
- Use a couple larger putty knives to remove the stripper/old Varnish
- Dispose of it in a shoebox with a plastic bag liner.
- Repeat the entire process anywhere from 3 to 5 more times.
- Once all or most of the varnish was removed clean the wood with acetone
- Allow to dry overnight and clean the wood with acetone again
- After completely drying lightly sand the wood with 220 grit paper
- Wipe it down with acetone again
- At this point it is ready for epoxy / varnish
Update March 2019. I replaced CitriStrip with Klean Strip for the forward board, way easier to apply.
Epoxy / Varnishing
Start with 4 coats of clear coat of epoxy. I usually apply the 4 coats of epoxy in less of 48 hours.
Continue with 4 coats of undiluted Epifanes Varnish.
Update March 2019. 2 years later the Epifanes Varnish was still ok, but added a bit of mineral spirit before to apply it.